Requirements FAQ

Requirements FAQ

Last revised: 2015 May 13

1. Which program requirements do I follow in the CS or CSEC programs?

Use the program requirements in effect in the latest term in which you do one of the following:

  • You pass your first major CS course from the department — usually EECS1020 (as of 2015 the first major course is EECS1012). This is normally your year of entry to the CS/CSEC major.
  • You transferred from another major into CS/CSEC.
  • You resume your studies in a CS/CSEC program after at least three consecutive Terms where you took no courses at York. Students are deactivated after three consecutive terms without taking courses at York and they are not on internship.

If the “latest term” lies in the summer session, then you follow the program requirements for the previous fall and winter terms. For example if you begin in Summer 2001, then you follow the 2000-01 program requirements.

Or, at your choice, the requirements in effect are those in the year of your graduation. You must notify the Undergraduate Office if you want to exercise this choiceBut you cannot mix and match different requirements.

2. What do you mean bynormal progress?

3. Can 4000-level courses be taken by students in a 90 credits degree program?

  • 4000-level courses are primarily for students enrolled in honours programs, thus the answer is a qualified “yes; by permission of the UG Office”.

4. Can 4000-level courses be substituted for 3000-level courses?

  • Yes; but only by permission of the UG Office.

5. One often encounters the phrases “…courses taken…” or “…courses completed…” found in descriptions of prerequisites, gpa calculations, degree requirements. What does this mean? Is a course that I have finsished with an “E” or “F” “taken” (or “completed”)? Is a course in which I registered but then dropped “taken”?

  • “Taken” or “completed” are synonyms and mean “passed” or “failed”. A “completed” course is one that appears on your transcript.

6. Can I take EECS courses at other universities?

  • They are known as out of department courses. They may be taken on a Letter of Permission (LOP) which is obtained from the Office of the Registrar and approved by the UPD of EECS. When you have filled out the form letter take it to the EECS undergraduate office which looks at the course descriptions you provide and either grants or denies permission.

7. Are there restrictions on the number of EECS courses taken out of the department?

  • You are restricted to 12 credits, 6 in core area (grand total until graduation). Advanced standing courses (or “transfer credits” as are now called, which were taken at other universities or colleges before your coming to York) are a part of the out of department courses contributing to these maxima.

8. What are the core courses?

  • They are those EECS and MATH courses which are required in all CS major programs. For example, EECS/MATH1019, MATH1090, and EECS 3101 are core.

9. Can I substitute MATH 2221 or MATH1021 for MATH 1025 to meet CS/CSEC requirements?

  • Yes.

10. What if I opt to graduate with a Bachelor (“Ordinary”) degree but immediately continue with an Honours degree that I am already enrolled in? Is this considered to be a break in my (Honours) studies; i.e., do I use the new regulations at the time of “resuming” the honours program, or is this a continuation of studies and I can continue with my original program requirements?

  • To to do so a) your Honours Program must have a BAchelor counterpart, b) you must have Honours standing at the time of graduation, else you cannot continue after graduation. The resumption of studies after graduation is considered to be a continuation of your studies so you would continue to use the Honours program requirements for the same year as your Ordinary Degree. However, should you become deactivated as a student (for example, you decide to continue your Honours program later, and you have not taken courses for three consecutive terms and were not on internship), then see Question 1 above.
  • The application to graduate with a Bachelor degree and continue seamlessly in your Honours degree is done on line at this link:

11. I am an ITEC student and want to transfer to CS/CSEC.  ITEC requires MATH 1190 and MATH2320, while CS/CSEC require EECS/MATH 1019 and MATH1090. Do I need to take MATH 1090 and EECS/MATH1019?

  • Yes, definitely, you must take MATH 1090.
  • Moreover, yes, you must take EECS/MATH1019 if you have not already completed MATH2320 (conditions apply; see also 20 and 26 below); otherwise MATH1019 is waived.

12. I am applying with a non-English educational background. What are the English Language Admission Requirements?

13. What gpa do I need for switching into CS/CSEC if I have 3 credits from a math for majors course (second digit is not 5) and 3 credits from a math service courses (second digit 5)?

  • The two categories do not mix. Once a major math course is taken, the requirement is a C+ or better average over a minimum of 6 credits of such courses.

14. What is the difference between a BA, BSc and BEng (formerly BASc)?

  • The BA and BSc degrees have the same computer science and mathematics courses. Their difference lies in General Education and other Faculty specific requirements (the BA requires 18 credits of Electives outside the Major, and not overlapping with your General Education or MATH requirements).
  • Admission Requirements are identical for the BA and BSc except that candidates for the latter must have passed a 4U PHYS or CHEM course.
  • Did you know that all you need in order to transfer from the BA (in good standing) to the equivalent BSc Program is either the above mentioned 4U courses, or the completion (pass) of PHYS 1510 4.0 at York?
  • If you are primarily interested in the liberal arts and have a background in the liberal arts, then a BA is an appropriate degree.
        An Bachelor of Arts degree is valued by many employers as an indication of a well-rounded, literate person capable of communicating verbally and in writing, capable of participating in a well-rounded fashion in many facets of the organisation, capable of understanding the “people” and societal dimensions.

    A bank, insurance company, hospital, social service organisation, and very many others would be inclined towards a BA degree for many (but not all) positions.

  • If you are primarily interested in science and have a background in science, then a BSc would be an appropriate degree.
        A Science degree is an indication of a more technically oriented person, capable of grasping the technical details of issues.

    An engineering firm, an aerospace firm, a pharmaceutical company, etc., would be inclined towards a BSc for many (but not all) positions.

  • The BEng (in Electrical, Computer or Software Engineering) is an engineering degree. To take this degree you should have a strong background and interest in mathematics and  the sciences — especially physics. While there is a lot of overlap between Software and Computer Engineering on one hand and CS on the other, the overlap between Electrical Engineering and CS is very small.

15. What MATH courses are used to compute the prerequisite for EECS 1020?

  • We use the latest mathematics courses you have taken (see also the latest supplemental Calendar). Once you have taken a college level math course we do not go back to your OACs or 12Us. Once you have taken a university mathematics course we only look at university level courses. Once you have taken a MATH Major course (2nd digit not 5) we only look at such courses and disregard MATH courses with 2nd digit 5.
  • The rule for university MATH courses is to use all in the categories that apply (see previous bullet) that are not NCRed but we require at least 6 credits completed.

16. What is the graduation grade point average (gpa) requirement for BSc and BA degrees?

  • Honours degree — gpa of 5.0 over all completed courses
  • 90 credits degree (Bachelor) — gpa of 4.0 over all completed courses

17. What is the graduation grade point average (gpa) requirement for BEng degree?

  • This is an Honours only degree — gpa of 5.0 over all completed courses

18. Can I apply pass/fail option for EECS courses?

  • The pass/fail option cannot be used for any course in your major or any course required by your program — exceptions: EECS 1001, and the Interniship EECS3900, 3980 and the ENG3900 courses. In general, pass/fail can only be used for elective courses. You must make the request at the Registrar’s office within the first two weeks of the course. See here (Pass/Fail) for the exact wording of the Senate legislation.

19. How do I change Faculties, majors, or degrees?

  • Advising is strongly recommended prior to such decisions. The actual request to transfer is done on line here: Change Faculty/Degree/Major

20. What is the relationship between MATH 1090, 1190, 2090, 1019 and 2320?

  • MATH 1090 can be taken after MATH 1190 butnot the other way around.
  • MATH 1190 introduces logic in a general way, and does a variety of other topics in discrete math. MATH 2320 continues with more topics in discrete math, at a deeper level.
  • MATH 1090, on the other hand, takes a very specific flavour of formal logic and studies it in great detail. MATH 2090 strongly depends on MATH1090 and cannot be done without MATH1090. MATH2090 has been a EECS degree requirement until the end of 2003/04 when it was replaced by MATH (EECS) 1019.
  • MATH2090 is discontinued.
  • MATH2320 (if and only if completed on or before 2003/04) is an acceptable substitute for MATH1019. MATH1190 prepares students for MATH2320 and thus is also a prerequisite for the new CSE/MATH1019 for students who have been admitted without the appropriate 12U MATH.
  • Other than that prerequisite function MATH1190 has no status in EECS degree program.

21. How does one get into the engineering program?

  • New students are being admitted directly from the highschool, but also students in other majors, notably in EECS, who have completed at least 24 credits may apply to transfer.

22. What are the criteria for transferring majors into the engineering program?

  • Completion of at least 24 credits and Honours standing. Successful transfer students will be following the BEng degree requirements that are in effect at the time of their transfer.

23. Can I retake an EECS course to improve my gpa?

  • Beginning with September 2004 you may retake ANY York University course ONCE to improve your gpa. This affects courses taken prior to this date, as long as you repeat them after the date. The second take (if it occurs after the date above) will be your record (creditsANDgrade) while the first take is flagged “NCR“–No credit retained (see here for details). Thus, no matter how many times you repeat a course, your gpa will depend only on the second occurrence (1st repeat). A petition to your Faculty, if successful, may move the NCR flag, but only ONE take will be the record; exception: In some cases of Academic Honesty related penalties, the Faculty Committee may require more than one take be unflagged.

24. The general prerequisites for most EECS3xxx and EECS4xxx courses include a requirement that the gpa over all completed EECS major courses is at least 4.5. How is this computed?

  • This is computed over all completed EECS major courses, at the time the compliance with the prerequite is being audited —that is, EECS courses that have been passed or failed. In each case where a course was taken more than once thesecond one counts —but see item 23 above— unless otherwise directed by the student’s home Faculty.

25. I notice that MATH (EECS) 1019 is a prerequisite for some EECS2xxx courses, and also a degree requirement. Must all students who need to take such EECS2xxx courses and/or major in a CS/EECSC/DIGM Program take this course?

  • Yes, and yes. This is a degree requirement and a prerequisite of some 2nd year courses since the summer 2005 term. There are no substitutes offered at York.

26. I notice that MATH (EECS) 1019 and MATH2320 are exclusions. May I take MATH2320 to satisfy the MATH1019 requirement?

  • No. First off, these two are exclusions, not “substitutes”. The department accepts MATH2320 as a substitute for EECS1019 toward the degree requirement or for prerequisite purposes only if you completed it at York but have done so on or before 2003/04.
  • Please note another example: MATH1300 and MATH 1505 are exclusions (CCEs) but the latter is not a major course and cannot be substituted for the MATH1300 requirement.