- Software engineering with focus on the design and engineering of adaptive and autonomic software;
- Software performance engineering;
- Adaptive software for cloud computing and big data;
- Software Engineering for AI.
Marin Litoiu is a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering and a Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and in the School of Information Technology, York University. He leads the Adaptive Software Research Lab and focuses on making large software systems more versatile, resilient, energy-efficient, self-healing and self-optimizing. His research won many awards including the IBM Canada CAS Research Project of the Year Award and the IBM CAS Faculty Fellow of the Year Award for his “impact on IBM people, processes and technology”.
Prior to joining York University, Dr. Litoiu was a Research Staff member with the Centre for Advanced Studies in the IBM Toronto Lab where he led the research programs in software engineering and autonomic computing. He received the Canada NSERC Synergy Award for Innovation in recognition for these collaborative university/industry activities. He was also recipient of the IBM Outstanding Technical Contribution Award for his research vision on Cloud Computing.
Dr Litoiu is Vice Chair of the IEEE Technical Council on Software Engineering and a member of IEEE Computer Society Conference Advisory Committee.
- P. Zoghi, M. Shtern, M. Litoiu, “Designing Search Based Adaptive Systems, a Cost and Performance Perspective,” ACM Transactions on Adaptive and Autonomous Systems, 2015.
- J. Li, C. M. Woodside, J. Chinneck and M. Litoiu, “Adaptive Cloud Deployment Using Persistence Strategies and Application Awareness,” IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2015.
- H. Ghanbari, M. Litoiu, P. Pawluk, C. Barna, “Replica Placement in Cloud through Simple Stochastic Model Predictive Control,” in Proceedings of IEEE Cloud, Anchorage, Alaska, June 27- July 2, 2014.
- Barna, M. Smit, M. Shtern, and M. Litoiu, “Mitigating DoS Attacks using Performance Model-driven Adaptive Algorithms,” ACM Transactions on Adaptive and Autonomous Systems, 2014.
- R. Lemos, M. Litoiu, et al., “Software Engineering for Self-adaptive Systems: A Second Research Roadmap,” in Software Engineering for Self-Adaptive Systems II, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, R. Lemos, H. Giese, H. Muller, and M. Shaw, Eds. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013, vol. 7475, pp. 1–32.
- T. Zheng, M. Litoiu and M. Woodside, “Integrated Estimation and Tracking of Performance Model parameters with Autoregressive Trends,” in Proceeding of the 2nd IEEE Joint WOSP/SIPEW International Conference on Performance Engineering(ICPE), 2011, pp. 157-166.
- T. Zheng, C. M. Woodside and M. Litoiu, “Performance Model Estimation and Tracking Using Optimal Filters, “IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 34, pp. 391-406, 2008.