- High frequency power conversion for sustainable energy systems, power converter topologies, control techniques for power converters;
- Wide-bandgap based power electronics;
- Renewable energy;
- Energy storage and power management;
- Control techniques for high frequency converters.
John Lam received his B.Sc and B.A (Economics), M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from Queen’s University in 2003, 2006 and 2010, respectively. From 2010-2014, he was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Queen’s Centre for Energy and Power Electronics Research, where he received the MITACS Elevate Industrial Postdoctoral Fellowship from 2010 – 2012.
He joined York University in 2014, where he is currently an Associate Professor with the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, York University. He is an IEEE Senior Member and an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. He is a registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
- Moury, S. and Lam, J. “A Soft-switched Power Module With Integrated Battery Interface for Photovoltaic-Battery Power Architecture” accepted for publication in the IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, (in-press).
- Abbasi, M. and Lam, J. “A SiC-Driven, Modular Step-up Converter with Soft-switched Module Having 1:1 Turns Ratio Multi-phase Transformer for Wind Systems” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 66, no. 9, Sept. 2019, pp. 7055 – 7066.
- Abbasi, M. and Lam, J. “A Modular SiC-based Step-up Converter with Soft-Switching-Assisted Networks and Internally-Coupled High-Voltage-Gain Modules for Wind Energy System with a Medium Voltage DC-Grid” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics: Special Issue on “Resonant and Soft-Switching Techniques With Wide Bandgap Devices”, 7, no. 2, June 2019, pp. 798 – 810.
- Abbasi, M. and Lam, J. “A Very High Gain Modular Three-phase AC/DC Soft-switched Converter Featuring High Gain ZCS Output Rectifier Modules Without Using Step-up Transformers for DC Grid in Wind Systems” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 54, no. 4, July/August 2018, pp. 3723 – 3736.
- Abbasi, M , Emamalipour, R, Cheema, M. A, and Lam, J. “A Modular Soft-switched Silicon-Carbide Step-up Converter with a Dual Coupled LCL Resonant Network and Primary-Hybrid Variable Frequency/Phase Shift-Control” in Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE 18), 5974 – 5980.
- Abbasi, M. and Lam, J. “A Step-up Transformer-less, ZV-ZCS High-Gain DC/DC Converter with Output Voltage Regulation Using Modular Step-up Resonant Cells for DC Grid in Wind Systems” IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 5, no. 3, Sept. 2017, pp. 1102 – 1121.