- High frequency power conversion for sustainable energy systems, power converter topologies, control techniques for power converters;
- Power factor correlation techniques.
John Lam received the B.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Electrical Engineering and the B.A. degree in Economics from Queen’s University, Kingston, ON, Canada, in 2003. He received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from Queen’s University in 2006 and 2010, respectively. From 2010-2012, he received the MITACS (Mathematics of Information Technology and Complex Systems) Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship, where he worked on single-stage high power factor high frequency power inverters for energy-efficient lighting and sustainable energy applications. Dr. Lam is currently an Assistant Professor with the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, York University, Toronto. His research interests include high frequency power converters with soft-switching techniques, renewable energy applications, and advanced control techniques for high frequency converters. He is the Principal Investigator of the Advanced Power Electronics Laboratory for Sustainable Energy Research at York University.
He is an IEEE Senior Member and is an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics. He has served as a Technical Session Chair in several conferences supported by the IEEE Power Electronics Society and the IEEE Industry Applications Society
- Abbasi, M., and Lam, J., “A step-up transformer-less, ZV-ZCS high-gain DC/DC converter with output voltage regulation using modular step-up resonant cells for DC grid in wind systems”. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 1102 – 1121, September
- Lam, J., El-Taweel, N., and Abbasi, M. “An output-current-dependent DC-link energy regulation scheme for a family of soft-switched AC/DC offline LED drivers without electrolytic capacitors”. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics: Special Section on “High Performance LED Drivers”, vol. 64,
no. 7, pp. 5838 – 5859, July 2017.
- Abbasi, M, Lam, J. “A new three-phase AC/DC high power factor soft-switched converter with high gain rectifier modules for medium voltage grid in wind systems” in Proc. of the 2016 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, pp. 1 – 8.
- Moury, S, Lam, J., Srivastava V, Church R. “A novel multi-input converter using soft-switched singleswitch input modules with integrated power factor correction capability for hybrid renewable energy systems” in Proc. of the 2016 IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC 16), pp. 786 – 793.
- Lam, J., and Jain, P. K., “A high power factor, electrolytic capacitor-less AC-input LED driver with high frequency pulsating output current”. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 943–955, February 2015.