- Computational vision
- Computational Neuroscience
- Human Vision
- Artificial Intelligence and robotics
Prof. John K. Tsotsos is currently the Distinguished Research Professor of Vision Science at York University, where he also holds the NSERC Tier I Canada Research Chair in Computational Vision. He holds Adjunct appointments in the departments of Computer Science and of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences at the University of Toronto and at the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute. He was Director of the highly respected Centre for Vision Research at York University from 2000 to 2006. His research efforts span the areas of computer vision, computational neuroscience, human vision, artificial intelligence and robotics.
He is recipient of the 2006 Canadian Image Processing and Pattern Recognition Society Award for Research Excellence and Service, and of the 1st President’s Research Excellence Award by York University in 2009. He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, Academy of Sciences, Division of Mathematics and Physical Sciences in 2010.
Prior to joining York University in 2000, he was Professor and Associate Chair of Computer Science at the University of Toronto, where he began his academic career in 1980. While there, he was also appointed to the Division of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, and was Fellow of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research from 1985-1995. He has published over 300 papers, 6 of which have received distinctions. His most recent research monograph “A Computational Perspective on Visual Attention” was published by The MIT Press in 2011.
- The roles of endstopped and curvature tuned computations in a hierarchical representation of 2d shape AJ Rodríguez-Sánchez, JK Tsotsos PloS one 7 (8), e42058, 2012
- Histogram of Oriented Uniform Patterns for robust place recognition and categorization E Fazl-Ersi, JK Tsotsos The International Journal of Robotics Research 31 (4), 468-483, 2012
- On Sensor Bias in Experimental Methods for Comparing Interest-Point, Saliency, and Recognition Algorithms A Andreopoulos, JK Tsotsos Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Transactions on 34 (1), 110-126, 2012
- A computational perspective on visual attention JK Tsotsos The MIT Press, 2011
- Neural mechanisms of surround attenuation and distractor competition in visual search CN Boehler, JK Tsotsos, MA Schoenfeld, HJ Heinze, JM Hopf The Journal of Neuroscience 31 (14), 5213-5224, 2011
- Active 3D object localization using a humanoid robot A Andreopoulos, S Hasler, H Wersing, H Janssen, JK Tsotsos, E Korner Robotics, IEEE Transactions on 27 (1), 47-64, 2011
- Visual search for an object in a 3D environment using a mobile robot K Shubina, JK Tsotsos Computer Vision and Image Understanding 114 (5), 535-547, 2010
- The center-surround profile of the focus of attention arises from recurrent processing in visual cortex CN Boehler, JK Tsotsos, MA Schoenfeld, HJ Heinze, JM Hopf Cerebral Cortex 19 (4), 982-991, 2009
- Saliency, attention, and visual search: An information theoretic approach NDB Bruce, JK Tsotsos Journal of Vision 9 (3), 2009