- Integration of distributed and renewable power generation in distribution systems;
- Distributed energy storage and plug-in electric vehicles;
- Distributed resources islanded systems (microgrids) modeling, operation, planning and control;
- Cross-disciplinary innovations and entrepreneurship for digital upgrade of electric power transmission and distribution systems;
- Applications of multi-agent (distributed) control for innovative smart grid technologies;
- Simulation, modeling and analysis of high power electronics, and their applications to facilitate AC grid integration of large scale wind penetration.
Hany E.Z. Farag received the B.Sc. (with honors) and the M.Sc. degrees in Electrical Engineering from Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt, in 2004 and 2007, respectively, and the Ph.D degree in electrical engineering from the University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, in June 2013.
From March 2013 to June 2013, he was a Post-Doctoral-Fellow at the University of Waterloo. Since July 2013, he has been with the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Lassonde School of Engineering, York University, Toronto, ON, Canada
Sandford Fleming Foundation award winner for teaching assistant excellence at University of Waterloo.
Listed in the 30th pearl anniversary edition of Marquis Who is who in the world for academic excellence.
- H.E. Farag, M.M. A. Abdelaziz, and E.F. El-Saadany, “Optimum droop parameter settings of islanded microgrids with renewable energy resources,” IEEE Trans. Sustainable Energy, accepted November 24, 2013.
- H.E. Farag, M.M. A. Abdelaziz, and E.F. El-Saadany, “ Voltage and reactive power impacts on successful operation of islanded microgrids,” IEEE Tran. Power System, vol.28, no.2, pp.1716-1727, May 2013.
- H.E. Farag, and E.F. El-Saadany, “A novel cooperative protocol for distributed voltage control in active distribution systems,” IEEE Trans. on Power System, vol.28, no.2, pp. 1645 – 1656, May 2013.
- M.M. A. Abdelaziz, H.E. Farag, E.F. El-Saadany, and Y. A.-R. Mohamed, “A novel and generalized three-phase power flow algorithm for islanded microgrids using a newton trust region method,” IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, vol.28, no.1, pp. 190-201, Feb. 2013
- H.E. Farag, E.F. El-Saadany, and R. Seathapathy, “A two ways communication based distributed control for voltage regulation in smart distribution feeders,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol.3, no.1, pp. 271-281, March 2012.
- H.E. Farag, E.F. El-Saadany, and R. Seathapathy, “The evolution of voltage and reactive power control in smart distribution systems,” International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems (IJEEPS), vol.13, no.1, pp.1-33, June 2012.
- H.E. Farag, E.F El-Saadany, R. El Shatshat, and A. Zidan, “A generalized power flow analysis for distribution systems with high penetration of distributed generation,” Electric Power System Research, vol.81, no.7, pp.1499-1506, July 2011.
- M.Z El-Sadek, M. Abo-Zahhad, A. Ahmed, and H.E. Farag, “Optimal placement of UPFC using Sensitivity Analysis,” Ain-Shams Engineering Journal, vol. 42, pp. 641- 657, 2007.
- M.Z El-Sadek, M. Abo-Zahhad, A. Ahmed, and H.E. Farag, “PV/PQ UPFC model for incorporation of unified power flow controller in load flow studies,” Ain-Shams Engineering Journal, vol.42, pp. 659-669, 2007.
- M.Z El-Sadek, M. Abo-Zahhad, A. Ahmed, and H.E. Farag, “Comprehensive Newton-Raphson model for incorporating unified power flow controller in load flow studies,” Journal of Engineering Science, Assiut University, vol. 35, pp. 185-202, 2007.
- M.Z El-Sadek, M. Abo-Zahhad, A. Ahmed, and H.E. Farag , “ Injection power UPFC model for incorporation of unified power flow controller in load flow studies,” Journal of Engineering Science, Assiut University, vol. 35, pp. 203-219, 2007.