- Quantitative Imaging and Biomarkers;
- AI and Machine Learning for Precision Medicine;
- Radiomics and Theranostics;
- Image-Guided Therapeutics;
- Computational Biomedical Modeling
Prof. Ali Sadeghi-Naini received his MSc in Artificial Intelligence from Tehran Polytechnic University in 2006. He earned his PhD in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Western Ontario in 2011, enriched by his participation in NSERC CREATE program in Computer-Assisted Medical Interventions. He completed four years of postdoctoral fellowship in Medical Biophysics and Radiation Oncology at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and University of Toronto. His postdoctoral research was supported by a Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation postdoctoral fellowship and a Banting postdoctoral fellowship awarded by CIHR. His seminal studies demonstrated for the first time that novel ultrasonic spectral and textural biomarkers at low-frequencies can detect cell death. He has been a core member of the team who are translating this basic science finding into an emerging clinical application to predict/monitor tumour response of breast cancer patients to chemotherapy.
In 2015, he started his independent research program as a Scientist in the Physical Sciences Platform at Sunnybrook Research Institute and the Department of Radiation Oncology at Odette Cancer Centre, and an Assistant Professor in the Department of Medical Biophysics at the University of Toronto. In 2018, he joined Lassonde School of Engineering at York University, holding cross-appointments in the Department of Medical Biophysics at the University of Toronto, Sunnybrook Research Institute, and Odette Cancer Centre. He is currently an Associate Professor and York Research Chair in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at York University.
Prof. Sadeghi-Naini is a registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontarioa, and a Senior Member of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, and Signal Processing Societies. He is also a member of American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM), and the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR). The focus of his research program is to develop quantitative imaging and biomarker technologies integrated with emerging machine learning and computational modeling techniques for precision medicine and personalized therapeutics.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, H. Suraweera, W. T. Tran, F. Hadizad, G. Bruni, R. Fallah Rastegar, B. Curpen, G. J. Czarnota. Breast-lesion characterization using textural features of quantitative ultrasound parametric maps. Nature Scientific Reports. 2017; 7:13638.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, L. Sannachi, H. Tadayyon, W. T. Tran, E. Slodkowska, M. E. Trudeau, S. Gandhi, K. Pritchard, M. C. Kolios, G. J. Czarnota. Chemotherapy-response monitoring of breast cancer patients using quantitative ultrasound-based intra-tumour heterogeneities. Nature Scientific Reports. 2017; 7:10352.
- S. R. Mousavi, H. Rivaz, G. J. Czarnota, A. Samani, Ali Sadeghi-Naini. Ultrasound elastography of the prostate using an unconstrained modulus reconstruction technique: a pilot clinical study. Translational Oncology. 2017; 10(5):744-751.
- W. T. Tran, M. J. Gangeh, L. Sannachi, L. Chin, E. Watkins, S. G. Bruni, R. Fallah Rastegar, B. Curpen, M. E. Trudeau, S. Gandhi, M. Yaffe, E. Slodkowska, C. Childs, A. Sadeghi-Naini, G. J. Czarnota. Predicting breast cancer response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy using pretreatment diffuse optical spectroscopic texture analysis. British Journal of Cancer. 2017; 116(10):1329-1339.
- H. Tadayyon, L. Sannachi, M. J. Gangeh, C. Kim, S. Ghandi, M. E. Trudeau, K. Pritchard, W. T. Tran, E. Slodkowska, A. Sadeghi-Naini, G. J. Czarnota. A priori prediction of neoadjuvant chemotherapy response and survival in breast cancer patients using quantitative ultrasound. Nature Scientific Reports. 2017; 7:45733.
- W. T. Tran, C. Childs, L. Chin, E. Slodkowska, L. Sannachi, H. Tadayyon, E. Watkins, S. Lemon-Wong, B. Curpen, A. El Kaffas, A. Al-Mahrouki, A. Sadeghi-Naini, G. J. Czarnota. Multiparametric monitoring of chemotherapy treatment response in locally advanced breast cancer using quantitative ultrasound and diffuse optical spectroscopy. Oncotarget. 2016; 7(15): 19762-19780.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, E. Vorauer, L. Chin, O. Falou, W. T. Tran, F. C. Wright, S. Gandhi, M. J. Yaffe, G. J. Czarnota. Early detection of chemotherapy-refractory patients by monitoring textural alterations in diffuse optical spectroscopic images. Medical Physics. 2015; 42(11): 6130-6146.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, E. Sofroni, N. Papanicolau, O. Falou, L. Sugar, G. Morton, M. J. Yaffe, R. Nam, A. Sadeghian, M. C. Kolios, H. T. Chung, G. J. Czarnota. Quantitative ultrasound spectroscopic imaging for characterization of disease extent in prostate cancer patients. Translational Oncology. 2015; 8(1): 25-34.
- M. J. Gangeh, A. Sadeghi-Naini, M. Diu, H. Tadayyon, M. S. Kamel, G. J. Czarnota. Categorizing extent of tumour cell death response to cancer therapy using quantitative ultrasound spectroscopy and maximum mean discrepancy. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2014; 33(6): 1390-1400.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, N. Papanicolau, O. Falou, J. Zubovits, R. Dent, S. Verma, M. E. Trudeau, J. F. Boileau, J. Spayne, S. Iradji, E. Sofroni, J. Lee, S. Lemon-Wong, M. J. Yaffe, M. C. Kolios, G. J. Czarnota. Quantitative ultrasound evaluation of tumour cell death response in locally advanced breast cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Clinical Cancer Research. 2013; 19(8): 2163-2174.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, O. Falou, H. Tadayyon, A. Al-Mahrouki, W. T. Tran, N. Papanicolau, M. C. Kolios, G. J. Czarnota. Conventional-frequency ultrasonic biomarkers of cancer treatment response in vivo. Translational Oncology. 2013; 6(3): 234-243.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, N. Papanicolau, O. Falou, H. Tadayyon, J. Lee, J. Zubovits, A. Sadeghian, R. Karshafian, A. Al-Mahrouki, A. Giles, M. C. Kolios, G. J. Czarnota. Low-frequency quantitative ultrasound imaging of cell death in vivo. Medical Physics. 2013; 40(8): 082901.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, O. Falou, J. M. Hudson, C. Bailey, P. N. Burns, M. J. Yaffe, G. J. Stanisz, M. C. Kolios, G. J. Czarnota. Imaging innovations for cancer therapy response monitoring. Imaging in Medicine. 2012; 4(3): 311-327.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, R. V. Patel, A. Samani. Measurement of lung hyperelastic properties using inverse finite element approach. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2011; 58(10): 2852-2859.
- A. Sadeghi-Naini, T. Y. Lee, R. V. Patel, A. Samani. Estimation of lung’s air volume and its variations throughout respiratory CT image sequences. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2011; 58(1): 152-158.