For breadth requirements, graduate courses are classified into five major groups. The second digit in the course number indicates the group to which the course belongs.
- Group 1: Theory of Computing (x1xx) and Scientific Computing (x2xx)
- Group 2: Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Systems (x3xx)
- Group 3: Systems: Software (x4xx) and Hardware(x5xx)
- Group 4: Computer Systems Engineering
- Group 5: Interactive Systems Engineering
Some special topics courses (xx9x) will be offered each year depending on the availability of faculty members and their interests.